• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Driveway, hopefully an implied easement New York State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beaverzzz

What is the name of your state? New York State

I am a week away from closing on this property and starting to run into problems with a driveway.

Here is an arial photo so you can get a better idea of what I am working with.

http://usera.imagecave.com/beaverzzz/RomulusPropertydetails.jpg

History
This property was originaly built in 1996, it was a bed and breakfast with a cafe and another building that was like a conference center. The previous owner needed some money so you subdivided his property so he could get more money from each side. The town should have never aproved the subdivision but they never thought that the property would eventually be owned by two seperate people. The person was forclosed on and now one person owns the entrance side with the two buildings and I am in the middle of closing on the landlocked side, the house.

I originally talked with the owner of the other side about using his driveway to get to my house and he was good about it and said alright, this was a verbal okay though. As I was getting closing to closing on the property I went back to him and was going to get a contract with him, he changed his tune and now will not allow me to use that for a driveway.

The property is on a state road and the state DOT will not allow access. They say that there is not enough frontage and there is a blindspot. DOT said I would have to take the matter up with the town but that I would not ever be able to put a driveway in on the front of the house.

My question is if there is any type of implied easement over the existing driveway? I am getting very close to closing and I dont think I can backout unless I am willing to lose my deposite, I am really hopeing for an implied easement on this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">