• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not informed of HOA at/before closing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JessicaRabbit

My husband and I closed on our new-construction house last June. The closing agent, the builder's real-estate agent and our real-estate agent all assured us that there was NO homeowner's association. They were wrong.
There was supposed to have been a letter at closing for us to sign acknowledging the existance of the HOA, but because the closing agent was not aware of the HOA, the letter was not at closing. Thus, the existance of the HOA was not disclosed.
The HOA claims that we are members anyways.
1. Are we members of this HOA?
2. Who is actually responsible for this oversight?
3. What is our legal recourse re the annual dues? - we dont want to pay.

HomeGuru

Check your title report and see if there are CC&R's recorded or anything else with respect to a development or HOA. Is there anything similar on the master development title report? Then let me know.

J

JessicaRabbit

Not informed of HOA

I'm not in possession of a title report. How do I obtain one? What are CC&R's?
--still clueless

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">