• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not our Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Leah Peters

My husband divorced his ex-wife 9 years ago and in the divorce, she was awarded the house and was required to file an assumption deed on the home. In his divorce decree it states that she is responsible for all debts on the property and that my husband is released from any and all future debt or claims against the property.

A couple of weeks ago, we got a call from the US District Attorney's office telling my husband that they are going to forclose on the house and wanted to sell it. He told them that it wasn't his home. She informed him that his name was still on the title. Apparently, his ex-wife's attorney never filed the assumption deed. Now the DA office is harrassing my husband, wants him to sign a release of confidential financial information regarding him and the mortgage and also wants him to give them permission to go on the property. Incidentally, my husband filed bankruptcy 7 years ago, and his bankruptcy attorney could not get ahold of his ex-wifes's attorney to get a copy of the assumption deed so she included the property in question in his bankruptcy. What legal recourse should we take to protect ourselves?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">