• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nuisance Neighbors, Any advice appreciated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

panno

What is the name of your state? MASSACHUSETTS

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, but any help is greatly appreciated.

I live in a very quiet neighborhood in Everett, MA. My family has owned the property for about 50 years. Two months ago, a family of about 12 people purchased the 2- family house next door. Since then, we have had nothing but trouble with them.

For starters, the parking on the street had been tight even before they moved in. Now since they have moved in with their 7 vehicles, they ignorantly park in front of other peoples driveways. Several of the neighbors have tried to confront them of the problem, but only about 3 people in the home speak English. I, myself, confronted them the other day about one of their vehicles parked in front of my home for 3 days while their driveway was totally vacant. It ended up in a yelling match, and the next day I found an orange chalk line down half my driveway,claiming that it was their property (they did it to start more trouble). Luckily another neighbor of mine had a list from city hall with the frontages of every home on the street, and sure enough they were wrong and they weren't too pleased. We have tried calling the police about the parking problem,but they don't want to hear it.

But my biggest problem is the noise. I can no longer sleep with my bedroom windows open because I get woken up at 8 o'clock in the morning by the old woman next door singing like Pavoratti at the top of her lungs, not only that, but NONE of them can ever talk at a normal tone. They're constantly yelling. When they have a conversation inside their home, even with their windows closed, everyone can hear it. It has not only become mentally stressful, but now physically stressful for everyone in my home. I don't think it's right that we now have to live uncomfortably in our own homes that we have owned for years, all because our ignorant new neighbors want to own the street.

Is there anything I can do besides having to confront them again, or calling the police?

Is there any way I might be able to take it up with the city?
.....and what are the occupancy laws for two family homes in Massachusetts?

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Y

yoamber

rude, rude, rude

Unfortunately, people like that are clueless that they are being so rude! Try calling the fire marshall to see if there are max. occupancy laws on houses. Are they renters or buyers? If they have a landlord, maybe they can do something. Do you have a HOA in the neighborhood - if not - start one! That way you can fine them for the noise!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Set up your stereo speakers to face their house, so that the sound goes directly at them. The drum solo from "Inagoddadavida" (by "Iron Butterfly) at about 90 decibels ought to shut them up.

Even better, do the same thing but with the Telarc Digital Recording of the 1812 Overture. Set it to the portion when the cannons are shooting. At about 90 decibels, you'll scare the crap out of 'em.

IAAL

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Iron Butterfly? I would substitute full on rap. Well ok, maybe Grand Funk Railroad Live.

signed,
Captain Beyond

P

panno

IAAL....That has been the best advice I've heard yet. My mother is setting up the speakers now as I speak! J/K

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">