• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nursing Home Put Lien on Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tink11464

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I'm not sure if I posted this in the right category - Thank you in advance for any advice you may have...

My husband's step-father went into a nursing home 3 years ago this month. He is Jamaican (has a green card to be here), he's been in America approximately 20 years, and despite not being able to read or write he worked up until 3 years ago.

When he went into nursing home they wanted all of his information (green card, social security card, passport, information on the house where he resided - which was ONLY in my husband and his mother's names, etc...). He had Medicare and began collecting Social Security. Being that he and my mother-in-law only had an income of approx $900/mth between the 2 of them - the nursing home was trying to get him on welfare to cover his costs - - after almost 3 years of running around and needing something different every month (bank records, paystubs, and requesting items already submitted that they couldn't "find"), they put a lien on the house.

Is this legal? The house is in my husband and his mother's names only? After getting $130,000 lien on the house - they did finally get him on medicaid AND they found the missing file that had all of the missing documents. we were just wondering how we could get the lien off of the house since we were told medicaid will now cover his care since he's been there. Thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">