• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obamacare and losing my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RheaSarnoff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I am 70 and have mdicare and anthem senior advantage. so i didnt file on the computer ot anything. as I dont think I have to with my insurance.
If I dont pay anything can Obamacare take my house away from me?

FlyingRon

What on earth are you talking about? Obamacare doesn't take houses. The worst thing that happens with ACA is you get fined (well taxed) if you don't have health insurance. Your existing health insurance almost certainly qualifies.

The thing that takes people houses is MEDICAID recovery when you take federal money to support you in nursing care and it doesn't happen until you are no longer in the house so it shouldn't bother you.

tranquility

What on earth are you talking about? Obamacare doesn't take houses. The worst thing that happens with ACA is you get fined (well taxed) if you don't have health insurance. Your existing health insurance almost certainly qualifies.

The thing that takes people houses is MEDICAID recovery when you take federal money to support you in nursing care and it doesn't happen until you are no longer in the house so it shouldn't bother you.
Don't be so sure. The law is still in flux and the ramifications are uncertain. I can imagine some scenarios where the OP CAN lose his house under the changes. Is it the norm? I don't think so. Should he worry? I have no idea. But, please, don't state what the law says unless you know. I've spent many hours both in study and in continuing education and there are many ramifications. The coverage under medicare has been reduced. Even with secondary, many things may not be covered. Would having the ordinary and necessary expenses of medical coverage as we age cause a person to lose their house?

Maybe.

Everything has changed. Everything.

FlyingRon

If he loses the house because he can't afford it vs. his health care costs is a far cry from "Obamacare taking my house." Someone has been spending too much time listening to the radical who have cooped the only check to the political system we have.

tranquility

If he loses the house because he can't afford it vs. his health care costs is a far cry from "Obamacare taking my house." Someone has been spending too much time listening to the radical who have cooped the only check to the political system we have.
Except that because of the changes in insurance because of Obamacare the loss of the house may be more likely for many. In both cases, it is the health care costs that lead to the loss. Agreed. It is the implications of the health care costs and how they become legally tied to a person (as in medicaid) that may cause the loss.

Someone has been drinking too much of the koolaid and wants those who put out facts to be relegated to "radical"s. Everything has changed. Better or worse? That is the question history will show. But, to not recognize there are second order changes that are not as obvious is foolish.

LdiJ

Except that because of the changes in insurance because of Obamacare the loss of the house may be more likely for many. In both cases, it is the health care costs that lead to the loss. Agreed. It is the implications of the health care costs and how they become legally tied to a person (as in medicaid) that may cause the loss.

Someone has been drinking too much of the koolaid and wants those who put out facts to be relegated to "radical"s. Everything has changed. Better or worse? That is the question history will show. But, to not recognize there are second order changes that are not as obvious is foolish.
I don't disagree with you, but I don't believe that was the question that the original poster was asking. Any large amount of debt can eventually result in someone losing their home. However, there is no "rule" under Obamacare that says that if someone doesn't purchase insurance through the exchange, that they will have their house taken away from them.

tranquility

I don't disagree with you, but I don't believe that was the question that the original poster was asking. Any large amount of debt can eventually result in someone losing their home. However, there is no "rule" under Obamacare that says that if someone doesn't purchase insurance through the exchange, that they will have their house taken away from them.
I agree with that and also with OHRoadwarrior. It seems the OP is in compliance.

LeeHarveyBlotto

It is entirely possible that for some people, you're making a technical distinction without a practical difference. Due to the ACA, people who were living within their means can have their circumstances altered to the point that they won't be able to keep their home.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">