• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio Gaming Laws, Give house as gift

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carolinadreamin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio We are thinking of holding an application process in which interested parties would pay a fee and submit an application for the purpose of receiving our house for free. Proceeds of the applications will go to pay off our mortgage and give us funds to get another house. We will select an application based on the applicants ability to renovate our home (built in 1862). Once chosen, we will "gift" our house to the applicant. I understand if a fee is paid for the application, it is similar to a raffle. However, if after we select an application, we REFUND the application fee to the applicant and then GIFT our home to that person, so they're not actually "winning" our home (because we refunded the application fee), would that change their tax obligation? And is this scenario legal in Ohio? Thank you.

FlyingRon

You can't weasel out of the fact you are running an illegal lottery with this subterfuge.

Unless you give EVERYBODY back their money after you select your winner, you still have people putting up something tangible in a probabilistic chance to get something else. In fact, in your case all you are doing is awarding the "HOUSE" plus whatever the entry fee is (so your prize is bigger than just the house itself).

First offense violation of this is a misdemeanor of the first degree (repeat is a felony). You can get six months in jail and/or $1000 fine.

STEPHAN

You are trying to avoid illegal lottery regulations by getting advice from anonymous people in an internet forum? Really?

tranquility

Even if the circumvention of lottery laws would fly, you cannot structure things to avoid the tax laws in this manner. If I "gift" you $100 with the understanding you will "gift" me something back, that is a sale. Same here. It is a raffle and the home would be income to the recipient.

carolinadreamin

Ok. Wow. It was just a question. We are honest people just trying to figure out how to get out from under our house in a depressed market. We would never do anything illegal, hence, the PRELIMINARY question to a very NEW idea in a forum where EVERYONE is asking for legal advice from people on the internet. Didn't realize I'd be insulted and berated. Geez. Thanks for nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">