• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

oops.. security deposit question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

canskasapa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was interested in renting a townhome in florida. I applied for the property and wrote the property manager a check for the deposit (one months rent) to hold the property (take it off the market) during the application process. No lease was signed.

After checking my finances more closely I noted I would be unable to make the rent payment each month without financial difficulty. I wrote the property manager and told them I cannot go through with the lease process.

Am I entitled to the deposit money back? Can they legally hold a portion of it? There was no provision stated on the application to this regard.

Thanks.

tranquility

It depends on what your agreement was. If it was an option, you got the benefit of the deal by keeping the house off the market and you deserve nothing. If was truly just a deposit to show you're serious, you should be able to get it back.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was interested in renting a townhome in florida. I applied for the property and wrote the property manager a check for the deposit (one months rent) to hold the property (take it off the market) during the application process. No lease was signed.

After checking my finances more closely I noted I would be unable to make the rent payment each month without financial difficulty. I wrote the property manager and told them I cannot go through with the lease process.

Am I entitled to the deposit money back? Can they legally hold a portion of it? There was no provision stated on the application to this regard.

Thanks.
**A: you are not entitled to all of it back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">