• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owner Financing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eagle1

I have some property I would like to sell and was asked about owner financing. How does this work?

T

Tracey

It works by you hiring an EXPERIENCED realtor or real estate attorney to draw up the financing contract & make sure your rights to retake the property are protected. It blows up in your face if you don't use an attorney/agent who's done a few of these.

You & buyer sign a deed of trust requiring buyer to pay you as if you were a bank. The contract sets forth the terms for financing, what happens in the event of default, insurance, straight or balloon mortage, etc. Run a thorough credit check on buyers! Seller-financing spreads out your capital gains but exposes you to the risk of having to foreclose on the house to get it back. Usually when a buyer requests seller financing, the buyer can't qualify for a standard mortgage. You should charge buyer a higher interest rate than a bank, to cover the increased risk to you of default. After all, you can't absorb a loss like a bank can.

Go look at some amortization tables at the library & you'll see that you maximize your return on investment if you set the mortgage *payment* based on a 30 year term, with a balloon payment of the balance of the mortgage after 15 years. (Your rate of return is *higher* than the stated interest rate for the first 1/2 of the mortgage; lower than the stated rate for the last 1/2.)

Good luck.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">