• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owner/Landlord problems!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

abetancorb

State of Minnesota.
Few months back I moved out the country. I decided to let an independent rental agent take care of my Minnestota home. My house was rented before I moved, my rental agent was suppossed to take care of collecting the rent for me and pay some utility bills. I, as the owner, signed a contract with the agent, and he signed a different Landlord/Teenant agreement with the family that is currently living at my US house.

The problem is that the rental agent is not complying with his part of the agreement. He is not depositing the monthly rent on my account (as we agreed and to which he has power of attorney) and now, he doesn´t respond to my calls or emails. This agent has a realtor license in Minnesota.

What can I do? What are my legal options? If need comes to show, could I fire him? if so, how? Could I collect the monthly rent directly from the teenant?

I currently live in southern Spain, close by to an US Consulate Office.

Please, I need your advise!

Thanks,
Al

HomeGuru

abetancorb said:
State of Minnesota.
Few months back I moved out the country. I decided to let an independent rental agent take care of my Minnestota home. My house was rented before I moved, my rental agent was suppossed to take care of collecting the rent for me and pay some utility bills. I, as the owner, signed a contract with the agent, and he signed a different Landlord/Teenant agreement with the family that is currently living at my US house.

The problem is that the rental agent is not complying with his part of the agreement. He is not depositing the monthly rent on my account (as we agreed and to which he has power of attorney) and now, he doesn´t respond to my calls or emails. This agent has a realtor license in Minnesota.

**A: first off, never give an agent POA in a rental management capacity.
Next, there is no such thing as a Realtor license. There is a such a thing though as a Realtor and a real estate agant and broker's license.

What can I do? What are my legal options? If need comes to show, could I fire him? if so, how? Could I collect the monthly rent directly from the teenant?

I currently live in southern Spain, close by to an US Consulate Office.

Please, I need your advise!

Thanks,
Al
**A: next, hire a real estate attorney in that state to send a demand letter to the agent. Also file a complaint with the state real esate licensing office. And hire another rental management company effective immediately so all future rent will go the new management co.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">