• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

owner selling of rental property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BFG

does the owner of a rental property have to notify the tenants if he or she sell the property??
OOps forgot the property is located in Ca.

[This message has been edited by BFG (edited October 11, 2000).]

D

David J. Miller

I am not an attorney. I have no idea if the law unilaterally requires you to notify tenants or not. However, I assume selling the property has a potential of attracting a buyer who intends on owner occupying the property. This means you have to follow the law regarding evicting the tenants. So, if you want to have the flexibility of accepting the highest bid, which may come from someone who plans to owner occupy, I would disclose the sale to the tenants. Beyond that, I'm sure one of the apt attorney's here will provide you with more specific legal info.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BFG:
does the owner of a rental property have to notify the tenants if he or she sell the property??
OOps forgot the property is located in Ca.

[This message has been edited by BFG (edited October 11, 2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The owner must notify the tenants of the sale of the property and the transfer of their security deposits if any.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">