• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ownership of property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

james vantine

i live in okla .who has ownership of realproperty
when a husband and wife divorce and the judge
orders the house to be sold ,and has given control
to the wife?

HomeGuru

james vantine said:
when a husband and wife divorce and the judge
orders the house to be sold ,and has given control
to the wife?
My response: what is your question and where are your proper sentences?

C

Cool1

My response: what is your question and where are your proper sentences?
His question: He's getting a divorce - the judge has given the wife the task of liquidation of property - how will proceeds be divided?

By viewing some of your other posts, I already know your response: Consult a lawyer.

Instead of "Free Legal Advice," this website should be called "I don't know, go hire a lawyer" or "Ask me a question I don't know and I'll insult your grammar." :mad:

HomeGuru

james vantine said:

**A: whoever has title to the subject real property has ownership. The writer does not state the parties that are currently on the deed (ie. both husband and wife, only husband, only wife, husband and/or wife and other parties such as relatives, siblings etc.) therefore how can the ownership be determined?

when a husband and wife divorce

**A: see my response above.

and the judge
orders the house to be sold

**A: even if the judge orders the real property to be sold, the ownership status does not change until the property is sold and recorded. Therefore, my response above applies.
,and has given control
to the wife?

**A: the writer does not define what control means with respect to the judges order? Did the judge order a deed transfer ie. Quit Claim Deed to be filed from Grantor-husband to Grantee-wife prior to the sale or just rule that the property be sold and the wife has full control over listing the property for sale with a real estate agent, accepting the offer, dealing with the real estate transaction etc., or ....?

So because the initial post was unclear, my correct response could have been whomever is on title at the present time has ownership. But I presumed that
the writer was asking for something more.

HomeGuru

Cool1 said:

His question: He's getting a divorce - the judge has given the wife the task of liquidation of property - how will proceeds be divided?

**A: Alas a better question, yet to determine the answer one has to know specifically how title to the property was held ie. joint tenants or tenants in common and the percentages of ownership, (if T/E there could be an even split) and more importantly how the judge would rule or had ruled in the distribution of assets.
Remember the original question was, who has ownership of the property and not how will the proceeds be divided. Two distinct and totally different questions.
By viewing some of your other posts, I already know your response: Consult a lawyer.

Instead of "Free Legal Advice," this website should be called "I don't know, go hire a lawyer" or "Ask me a question I don't know and I'll insult your grammar."

**A: I guess you have not viewed most of my 13,000+ posts. Many posts are so confusing or do not give the proper information by which to even respond. Thus my response: Consult a lawyer.
There are quite a few posts tantamount to a writer posting "my car does not start, can I sue?"
Well how in the world can anybody even attempt to answer that question let alone an experienced litigation attorney.
One response could be "how the heck should I know, hire an auto mechanic"
Other responses could be:
Does your car have gas, did you put the key in the ignition and turn it, is your battery dead, is your alternator working, is your starter kicking, did it start earlier, could you jump start it, did you have a mechanic take a look at it,
is there a warranty, is it a new car or a used one, did you get it free or did you buy it.............?

Last edited:
C

Cool1

HomeGuru, thanks for the reply! Your follow up provided useful information that the original poster should be very happy with.

I know that you are extremely knowledgable in legal matters, and that you help many people on this forum. I feel though, that some of the people that come here for advice cannot afford to hire an attorney, especially if their complaint has no legal merit. (My attorney charges $75 for a telephone conversation). I'm sure that others here do not possess the background to solve a problem that might appear to you as common knowledge. These people are probably offended by the abrasive manner in which they are blown off. This is just my observation / opinion, and is likely wrong if you haven't received any other complaints in your 13,122 posts.

I truely appreciate the service you're providing............................

HomeGuru

Thanks for your comments.
This is a free forum and I have no time to waste trying to second guess or decipher some mumble jumble ambiguous second grade written post.
I could just not respond at all but I try to respond to all posts on the real estate board.
My regular consulation fee is $250 per hour and I have to turn away clients. While I realize that some people may not be able to afford an attorney, the least they can do is either write a post that makes sense or have someone like an educated relative or neighbor review their post first before logging in on this website.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">