• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Ashess98

I have questions regarding Pennsylvania landlord/tenant law. I am in a very sticky situation. Here is the background.

On December 6, 1999 my would-be-future-roommate Sarah met with a landlord so that she and I could rent a house from him. Sarah gave him both her and my deposits. Sarah and the landlord each signed their names on two leases, in which Sarah agreed to rent a house from June 1 2000-May 31, 2001. Sarah took one lease and the landlord took another. Subsequently, Sarah forgot that the landlord had a copy of the lease with her signature. Therefore, she never told me that he had a copy of the lease with her signature. On December 6, she had made a verbal agreement to give him a copy of the lease with my signature on the lease once I signed it. On January 20, 2000 I signed my name next to her name on the lease. We never gave the landlord a copy of the lease with my signature. On March 2, 2000 I called my landlord and said I was no longer interested in renting from him. I also told Sarah that I was no longer able to rent from the landlord. Sarah contacted the landlord and said that she was still interested in renting from him, even if I was not planning on renting. On April 25, 2000 I sent the landlord a letter saying I was no longer interested in renting from him and that I would like my deposit back. By May, Sarah too had decided not to rent from the landlord. Because she thought he did not have her signature on the lease she did not worry about the lease. In July the landlord contacted Sarah and said she owed him a couple months worth of rent. He reminded her he had a lease with her signature. She then contacted me and said that I too owe the land lord money. On August 10, 2000, I contacted the landlord. He said he had not yet recieved a copy of the lease with my signature. The landlord also admitted that he never gave Sarah or I keys to the house, though the lease states that the tenants have recieved keys from the landlord at the time of signature. He has recently started looking for new tenants. The landlord also said that he owes me my deposit back, as he does not currently have my signature on a lease. He wants to wait until things have been resolved before he gives me back my deposit.

And now for my questions:

Would it be fraud, trickery, etc. for Sarah to present a copy of the lease with my signature to the landlord now?

Did Sarah dissolve my obligation to her when she decided to go ahead and rent without me? The landlord would have had to look for tenants in March if she backed out when I did. Did she take full responsibility of the lease when I withdrew my interest?

Does the fact that the landlord never give us keys mean that Sarah should not owe him rent for the past three months? Would she have a leg to stand on in court?

Does the landlord owe me my deposit?

Thank you very very much for any questions that you can help answer.

Sincerely,
Ashley

------------------
Ashley

[This message has been edited by Ashess98 (edited August 10, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ashess98 (edited August 10, 2000).]

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ashess98:
I have questions regarding Pennsylvania landlord/tenant law. I am in a very sticky situation. Here is the background.

On December 6, 1999 my would-be-future-roommate Sarah met with a landlord so that she and I could rent a house from him. Sarah gave him both her and my deposits. Sarah and the landlord each signed their names on two leases, in which Sarah agreed to rent a house from June 1 2000-May 31, 2001. Sarah took one lease and the landlord took another. Subsequently, Sarah forgot that the landlord had a copy of the lease with her signature. Therefore, she never told me that he had a copy of the lease with her signature. On December 6, she had made a verbal agreement to give him a copy of the lease with my signature on the lease once I signed it. On January 20, 2000 I signed my name next to her name on the lease. We never gave the landlord a copy of the lease with my signature. On March 2, 2000 I called my landlord and said I was no longer interested in renting from him. I also told Sarah that I was no longer able to rent from the landlord. Sarah contacted the landlord and said that she was still interested in renting from him, even if I was not planning on renting. On April 25, 2000 I sent the landlord a letter saying I was no longer interested in renting from him and that I would like my deposit back. By May, Sarah too had decided not to rent from the landlord. Because she thought he did not have her signature on the lease she did not worry about the lease. In July the landlord contacted Sarah and said she owed him a couple months worth of rent. He reminded her he had a lease with her signature. She then contacted me and said that I too owe the land lord money. On August 10, 2000, I contacted the landlord. He said he had not yet recieved a copy of the lease with my signature. The landlord also admitted that he never gave Sarah or I keys to the house, though the lease states that the tenants have recieved keys from the landlord at the time of signature. He has recently started looking for new tenants. The landlord also said that he owes me my deposit back, as he does not currently have my signature on a lease. He wants to wait until things have been resolved before he gives me back my deposit.

And now for my questions:

Would it be fraud, trickery, etc. for Sarah to present a copy of the lease with my signature to the landlord now?

Did Sarah dissolve my obligation to her when she decided to go ahead and rent without me? The landlord would have had to look for tenants in March if she backed out when I did. Did she take full responsibility of the lease when I withdrew my interest?

Does the fact that the landlord never give us keys mean that Sarah should not owe him rent for the past three months? Would she have a leg to stand on in court?

Does the landlord owe me my deposit?

Thank you very very much for any questions that you can help answer.

Sincerely,
Ashley

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">