• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parcel of land question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jannie123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
I'll explain the situation and see if this is something that can be done. Two homes are owned side by side. One is my primary residence and one is my rental. If I decide to move into my rental and use it as my primary home is there a way I can use (and include) the second home (my current primary home) as a guest house, or for my own use for entertaining or home office or such (not as a business). All put onto the same parcel. But at some point in time we want to sell one of the homes can be separate them back into their original parcels.
Is this something that is commonly done? Can it be done.

jannie123

I guess the only "real" advantage or reason would be to have one real estate tax bill primary residence.
The home next door currently a rental is larger and with no steps. The other small home would be like a "second home" for us used for entertaining and maybe a home office.

And, since there are two homes they probably would not place them as one primary residence.

I think I answered my own question. There is probably no advantage to doing this tax or otherwise.

FarmerJ

A risk I see in having them combined into one parcel would be that at some time down the road the city /county you live in may end up changing zoning rules- ords and refuse to allow you to divide them into two parcels again. Its one of them things where I suspect you may be better off leaving it alone especially if these are older housing units or older area with smaller lot sizes then it would be grandfathered under older rules as to lot sizes set backs etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">