• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partition of Real Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SoTampa

Hello and I thank you in advance for your time. My dilemma is this: I am suing my ex-fiancé for the partition of the home we purchased together. We bought the home together 3 1/2 years ago and our relationship went sour and he asked me to move out. For 1 year, I begged and pleaded with him to simply refinance and have my name removed from the mortgage, but out of spite, he refused. I since filled a suit seeking partition and after countless letters back and forth - he wanted ME to pay HIM to basically walk away giving him everything. Huh! After I refused, he has now filed a counter-suit against me. Why would he counter-sue me? I am so confused, maybe he just cannot qualify for credit reasons?! I guess my question is if he indeed cannot qualify then can I just assume the loan myself against his vengeful wishes? I know that if the house is sold, we will both loose (financially). What do you recommend that I do? Again, I thank you for your time.

SoTampa

S

SoTampa

P.S. We are owners 50/50 on mortgage and deed. I live in the state of Florida.

S

SoTampa

With all due respect, can you give me any inight at all? I don't mean to be a pest, I am just looking for possibilities if nothing else.

S

SoTampa

I guess my question is is it standard practice for someone to counter-sue for the same thing that they are being sued for, such as a partition? Have you ever heard of such thing? My main question is if I can qualify (financially) to assume the mortgage and he cannot, can he hinder me from doing so? Thank you agian for your advise.

S

SoTampa

I do not see what is so "difficult" to understand about my question.

P

pinenedle1

It would appear that the Home Guru is not well versed in real estate law.

P

pinenedle1

It would appear that the Home Guru is not well versed in real estate law.

S

SoTampa

Guru,

Why you have been so rude is beyond me. I read through various other questions for a couple of weeks before posting my question and I made sure that I was "minded my P's and Q's" seeing how you have treated some of the other posters, but obviously, it did no good. I don't know why you choose to be this way, but it is very unprofessional. I will refrain from stooping to your level, so I'll leave it at that. So long.

P

pinenedle1

Simular situation in California. First try for one party or the other to buy the other 50% of the equity. If an agreement cannot be reached, then a partition action can be filed through the court system. Partition action means that one of the owner parties wants their share of the equity, and/or control, and the other parties will not budge as far as making any sort of sale/deal is concerned. an agreement cannot be reached. Filing for a partition is a request to have the property sold through the court system, and all parties then split the proceeds from the sale according to vested interest. A partition action can take many months, or even years to complete, and should only be used as a last resort. Most often one party or the other will give in rather than spend alot of money and time dealing with the partition action. Best advise is to get a real estate lawyer to help with the filing. good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">