• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Past landlords lying about rental history.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Spydir79

Recently, my roomate and I got a 20 day notice to terminate our tenancy. First, the Assistant manager of our apartments said we had gotten three noise complaints. We never got notified of these complaints. Are they required to notify us of complaints?
We found a new place that we just love and filled out an application. They sent a form to our Assistant manager, the one who got the ok to ask us to leave, asking about how we are as tenants. She said we were being evicted and circled it and said we had missed and been late on many payments. These are all lies and I know very illegal of her to do. This can ruin our credit. :eek:

I have had a difficult time contacting the apartment complex corporate office, and am wondering if we have any legal standing on this matter. Also, our file is missing!!! the last person to have it was the Assistant manager that keeps lying about us. I am very concerned. What can we do??
Thank You!

[This message has been edited by Spydir79 (edited July 31, 2000).]

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spydir79:
Recently, my roomate and I got a 20 day notice to terminate our tenancy. First, the Assistant manager of our apartments said we had gotten three noise complaints. We never got notified of these complaints. Are they required to notify us of complaints?
We found a new place that we just love and filled out an application. They sent a form to our Assistant manager, the one who got the ok to ask us to leave, asking about how we are as tenants. She said we were being evicted and circled it and said we had missed and been late on many payments. These are all lies and I know very illegal of her to do. This can ruin our credit. :eek:

I have had a difficult time contacting the apartment complex corporate office, and am wondering if we have any legal standing on this matter. Also, our file is missing!!! the last person to have it was the Assistant manager that keeps lying about us. I am very concerned. What can we do??
Thank You!

[This message has been edited by Spydir79 (edited July 31, 2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have a cause of action against them for providing false and misleading information. Send a certified letter to the corporate office detailing the incidents and telling them that you will seek legal action against them.

S

Spydir79

What exactly can we get out of a lawsuit? Would we benefit? I just want to make sure it is worth our time and money to file against them. We would like to get our prorations back ( a sum of $200) and possibly our last months rent for the hassle this lady has put us through. :mad:
Also, how can we make sure we have a strong argument if we do decide to file against them? What materials will we need?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">