• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payed Bills for evicted roommate- What right do I have to her property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blueye02

Roommate lived in house for about a year. Did not keep up with bills, She was evicted. Left her property in the house. I ended up paying 700.00 in overdue bills that she never gave me the money for. Can I keep her property until she pays me?????? She said she is bring me to Court...

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blueye02:
Roommate lived in house for about a year. Did not keep up with bills, She was evicted. Left her property in the house. I ended up paying 700.00 in overdue bills that she never gave me the money for. Can I keep her property until she pays me?????? She said she is bring me to Court...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, not unless she agreed in writing that you could keep her property as collateral. Otherwise it is a L/T law issue and therefore illegal to keep the property of T. The property legally still belongs to her unless she abandoned it, in which case it then belongs to the landlord.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited October 23, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">