• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paying cash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gus

i live in ky, i rented an apartment inlate january,i paid cash for my application fee i also paid cash for febuary and march.i have reciepts for all of it ,but that is not the issue.first,they never said anything to me for paying in cash until now,and from what i understand its the new bookeeper.i recieved a very nasty letter from her stating that if i use cash again my payment would be refused,my lease does not specify what type of method should be used,so can she refuse my payment

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gus:
i live in ky, i rented an apartment inlate january,i paid cash for my application fee i also paid cash for febuary and march.i have reciepts for all of it ,but that is not the issue.first,they never said anything to me for paying in cash until now,and from what i understand its the new bookeeper.i recieved a very nasty letter from her stating that if i use cash again my payment would be refused,my lease does not specify what type of method should be used,so can she refuse my payment<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Dear Gus:

Just show little Ms. Bookkeeper one of the dollars. On it, it says very clearly: "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."

Although I think it's foolish to pay in cash, hey, if that's what you want to do, then do it. It doesn't have to be in your contract; she must accept the case, and give you a receipt. Take a tape recorder with you and let her know you're recording. Tell her you're there to pay your rent. Show her the money, and let her, on tape, decline the payment. Then, tell her, on tape, that you're putting the money into an account and, when she wants it, it'll be there for her. She cannot evict you because you have the proof you offered payment in full, and that she refused lawful money of the United States.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">