• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying local real estate taxes with cash - how can they refuse cash?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Two different banks, two different boroughs (both in the same county) are refusing to allow payment of real estate taxes with cash. Even though both tax bills are not related to each other in any meaningful way, responses from the respective banks were similar.

One: Go to the bank written on the tax bill to pay the bill in cash.
Two: Bank states they can only accept check or money order.
Three: Question the policy as to why cash is not accepted in the 'bank', and why one can't pay their taxes with american currency of cash.
Four: Bank recites its policy ~ directs me to the local borough.
Five: Discuss with local borough who states they do not collect the taxes in person, the bank handles payments.
Six: Bank asked a second time, I'm told they do not process payments and payments are brought to a lock-box. (aka they do not want responsibilities of cash transit)

Both boroughs are stonewalling payment of local taxes with US currency cash. Is a bank legally within its rights not to accept us currency for real estate tax bill? Not that anyone wants to bust stones, but if someone showed up with the tax payment in coins - those coins must be accepted because that is legal US currency that must be accepted.

Any advise on this matter would be appreciated. I am pressing the issue now with one particular bank....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Buy a money order at the teller window with the cash, then make the money order out to pay the taxes.

Paying taxes w/cash

Yes...there are alternatives and would be much easier to just write a check.

I'm a principle based individual, and was floored that a 'bank' which is the designated bank no less, refuses to take US currency to pay the real estate taxes. It is my understanding that cash is a non-disputable form of payment. One can state they do/do not accept credit cards, or more unique forms of payment (ie. bitcoin), but NOT REFUSE U.S. currency. If I were to show up w/bags of nickels, the bank must accept.

Anyone know if, legally, a designated bank can dictate forms of payment and/or refuse to accept cash payment for taxes?

-pr

Zigner

Yes...there are alternatives and would be much easier to just write a check.

I'm a principle based individual, and was floored that a 'bank' which is the designated bank no less, refuses to take US currency to pay the real estate taxes. It is my understanding that cash is a non-disputable form of payment. One can state they do/do not accept credit cards, or more unique forms of payment (ie. bitcoin), but NOT REFUSE U.S. currency. If I were to show up w/bags of nickels, the bank must accept.

Anyone know if, legally, a designated bank can dictate forms of payment and/or refuse to accept cash payment for taxes?

-pr
In the first part of your post, you state it as fact.
In the second part of your post, you question it.

What makes you believe they must accept it?

In the first part of your post, you state it as fact.
In the second part of your post, you question it.

What makes you believe they must accept it?

US currency can not be denied for payment. I do not have any legal backing and was always (my entire life) under the impression government institutions (in particular) can not deny cash payment.

justalayman

My state won't take money for my income taxes either. I have to pay electronically.
what about that old:
legal tender for all debts public and private printed on the paper money?

Last I knew, the government could not refuse cash. It's like the paying in pennies stupidity. The gov cannot refuse cash, even pennies, for a debt owed to the gov the last I looked.

edit to add:

what does the bank have to do with this? If they are paying a bank, a bank can set rules as a private entity.

Last edited:

Zigner

what about that old:
legal tender for all debts public and private printed on the paper money?
That doesn't place a requirement on a private entity to accept it as such.

Last I knew, the government could not refuse cash. It's like the paying in pennies stupidity. The gov cannot refuse cash, even pennies, for a debt owed to the gov the last I looked.
Sure, but we're not talking about the government here ;) The bank is a private (albeit, highly regulated) entity.

So, the local bureau states they are not accepting payment and I must deal w/the bank. Bank is a private equity and states they do not accept cash. Does that mean the local bureau is in the clear? They are not required to offer an option to pay cash?

As an American citizen (hate to go to that), I have the right to pay my taxes with cash. From my perspective, either a) the local bureau must provide an option to pay cash -or- b) if the bank is acting as the sole collector on behalf of the government entity it must accept cash.

Anyone know how this would be handled definitively as I will continue to push this topic to pay the taxes w/cash.

Zigner

So, the local bureau states they are not accepting payment and I must deal w/the bank. Bank is a private equity and states they do not accept cash. Does that mean the local bureau is in the clear? They are not required to offer an option to pay cash?

As an American citizen (hate to go to that), I have the right to pay my taxes with cash. From my perspective, either a) the local bureau must provide an option to pay cash -or- b) if the bank is acting as the sole collector on behalf of the government entity it must accept cash.

Anyone know how this would be handled definitively as I will continue to push this topic to pay the taxes w/cash.
You got your answer. The bank doesn't have to accept cash.

tranquility

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/31/5103
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/currency/pages/legal-tender.aspx
http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">