• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying property taxes on land to claim ownership?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timothyjeanne

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I have a friend who has stopped paying taxes on a small lot in los angeles california that was there parents that had passed away a few year's earlier..they don't want to go through probate because it would cost more then the small parcel is worth..they told me to pay the taxes on it and i could have it?

my question is? If i pay the taxes on the property and put a fence around it can i claim ownership after so many year's of paying taxes? The children of the deceased owners told me i could have it by paying the taxes but couldn't give me anything in writing because its not in there names?

thanks you for any input you might have on this situation

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I have a friend who has stopped paying taxes on a small lot in los angeles california that was there parents that had passed away a few year's earlier..they don't want to go through probate because it would cost more then the small parcel is worth..they told me to pay the taxes on it and i could have it?

my question is? If i pay the taxes on the property and put a fence around it can i claim ownership after so many year's of paying taxes? The children of the deceased owners told me i could have it by paying the taxes but couldn't give me anything in writing because its not in there names?

thanks you for any input you might have on this situation
The problem you have is that your possession would need to be "adverse". Since they're giving you the property, the possession is no longer "adverse". It is doubtful that probate would cost more than just about ANY piece of land in Los Angeles. If the property is worth less than $50,000, then they should be able to probate it through the small-estate process.

timothyjeanne

thanks for your quick respose

The problem you have is that your possession would need to be "adverse". Since they're giving you the property, the possession is no longer "adverse". It is doubtful that probate would cost more than just about ANY piece of land in Los Angeles. If the property is worth less than $50,000, then they should be able to probate it through the small-estate process.
the property is valued at about $2000 and from what i was told they would have to pay about the same for probate? i dont know but all they told me was they wouldn't pursue the property any further and that if i paid the taxes it would be mine? i dont know anything about the law and was hoping someone could tell me? lol thanks tim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">