• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rockin

I successfully closed a bank account I had in Massachusetts in May. When I closed the account, the teller had me write a check to myself for cash for the balance of the checking account. In June, I received a statement, and a demand for an amount past due. As it turns out, the amount the teller told me was the AMOUNT REMAINING IN MY RESERVE CREDIT, and I actually owed the bank money [had a negative balance], and should have paid them to close the account instead of getting money back when it closed. The money that I received because of the teller's error is long spent.
The bank now wants me to pay past due charges, interest, and late charges for their mistake. Obviously, I should not have to pay late charges and penalties for their mistake. What does the law state around repaying the money?
I currently live in California - does that have any impact?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rockin:
I successfully closed a bank account I had in Massachusetts in May. When I closed the account, the teller had me write a check to myself for cash for the balance of the checking account. In June, I received a statement, and a demand for an amount past due. As it turns out, the amount the teller told me was the AMOUNT REMAINING IN MY RESERVE CREDIT, and I actually owed the bank money [had a negative balance], and should have paid them to close the account instead of getting money back when it closed. The money that I received because of the teller's error is long spent.
The bank now wants me to pay past due charges, interest, and late charges for their mistake. Obviously, I should not have to pay late charges and penalties for their mistake. What does the law state around repaying the money?
I currently live in California - does that have any impact?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree to pay the principal and negotiate with the bank manager to installment payments and to waive or discount the LF and penalties. Hey, the bank gave you a loan without even doing a credit check. You know that the money was not yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">