• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pet fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carrieb

I paid a $300 non-refundable pet fee when I moved into my apartment, and, in addition, I paid a monthly non-refundable pet fee of $20. Altogether, I have paid a total of $560 in non-refundable pet fees for the 13 months I lived there. The landlord charged me over $1000 for carpet replacement and reduced it by $300 (my renter's deposit). However, none of the pet fee money was put toward the carpet replacement, leaving me with over $700 in carpet to pay for. Can the landlord do this? The lease states that the pet fee is soley for the privilege of having a pet in the apartment. Am I completely out of luck? What are the laws for Tennessee? HELP!!!!

T

Tracey

Your best bet will be to sue L arguing that L acted unreasonably in replacing all the carpet. Patching or repairing would have solved the problem. You can also argue that some of the carpet damage was *normal* pet wear & tear, which is covered by the pet rent. Ls can't charge a T for normal wear & tear: dirt in carpet after a year of walking on it, flaking paint, friction damage to doorknobs, etc. Here, since L charged pet rent, L can't also charge you for normal wear & tear. Just for exceptional pet damage.

You should also argue that the carpet was 8 years old when you moved in & L would have had to replace it after you moved *even if you had no pets at all*. Therefore, the costs of replacing the carpet are not attributable to your pet; they are a standard cost of doing business. (If the facts fit, of course.)

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">