• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petition for Partition of Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dwhitfield

What is the name of your state? Washington, DC

Complicated issue. My father added an older sibling to deed - joint tenancy right of survivorship in May 2001. In 2004, the older sibling refused to sign quit claim deed so trust for father could be created. In March 2004, my father added myself and 2 other siblings to deed- creating tenancy in common.

My father passed away 2 months ago and it will be necessary for me (personal representative) to request "partition of sale" of my deceased father's home to pay debts in his estate. Can the partition of sale be contested by the older sibling who has a 1/2 interest in the home?

I don't have a lawyer, winging this alone. any help is appreciated.

HomeGuru

dwhitfield said:
What is the name of your state? Washington, DC

Complicated issue. My father added an older sibling to deed - joint tenancy right of survivorship in May 2001. In 2004, the older sibling refused to sign quit claim deed so trust for father could be created. In March 2004, my father added myself and 2 other siblings to deed- creating tenancy in common.

My father passed away 2 months ago and it will be necessary for me (personal representative) to request "partition of sale" of my deceased father's home to pay debts in his estate. Can the partition of sale be contested by the older sibling who has a 1/2 interest in the home?

**A: yes he/she could but they would be wating their time.

I don't have a lawyer, winging this alone. any help is appreciated.
**A: the estate needs to hire a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">