• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

armaco00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan, Wayne county. The deceased is intestate and administrator isn't named yet. Hoping that I can get back $24000 in funeral costs after her house (worth $90000) is sold (no husband or kids) . But the annual taxes are due ($2100) and the heirs are broke. 1 of the heirs asked me for loan for taxes. That will be repaid from proceeds of house sale. However house must be sold before the 2017 taxes come out. Can guarantee they'll be broke then too.
Questions: 1. Can house be taken for not paying taxes?
2. Can I file creditors claim if I pay?
3. How can I get the funeral costs and money loaned back?

justalayman

$24,000 for a funeral?

To start with, what is your relationship with the decedent?

Why did you pay anything towards the funeral?

If no husband or children, who are the heirs?

Yes the home can be foreclosed upon if the taxes are not paid. What year were the oldest delinquent taxes originally due?

You seek to be repaid for the loan you made from the person you loaned it to.

armaco00

$24,000 for a funeral?

To start with, what is your relationship with the decedent? My favorite aunt. However, according to probate office, I am not an heir. She had no husband or children but she has living siblings (including my mom)

Why did you pay anything towards the funeral? She has always looked out for me and mine . I am disabled now and on disability. Can't work and 45 years old. She took out a life insurance policy with me as beneficiary cause becadisabled. The sisters and family went through her paperwork and found that out. Then I was"it".

If no husband or children, who are the heirs?
Heirs: 2 sisters (my mom included) and 4 children of 2 dead brothers. A 5 way split though

Yes the home can be foreclosed upon if the taxes are not paid. What year were the oldest delinquent taxes originally due? Everything paid until now. The 2016 taxes are due.

You seek to be repaid for the loan you made from the person you loaned it to.
Yes I want funeral costs and loans returned.
The heirs are going to sell house anyway. There are other bills and not enough cash. If I'm not paid they can inherit $75000/4.

FYI: entombment is expensive and she is not in a great spot. But "She always wanted the wall"(family)

justalayman

Yes I want funeral costs and loans returned.
The heirs are going to sell house anyway. There are other bills and not enough cash. If I'm not paid they can inherit $75000/4.

FYI: entombment is expensive and she is not in a great spot. But "She always wanted the wall"(family)
You may want the funeral costs repaid but nothing you have stated suggests you have a claim against the estate for the money. The loan was borrowed by a person as well. They owe you the money, not the estate.

Other facts might change things but so far you were real nice to loan that one soecific person that does not have the authority to speak for the estate all that money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">