• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PMI "aging requirements"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hovit9

Houston, Texas

I am attempting to have PMI removed from my loan. Our loan initially was $275k on a $300k house; the outstanding principal sits at $120k. The loan originated almost two years ago. My mortgage servicing company is claiming that PMI must be paid for five years from the date of the loan origination. Is this a legitimate requirement? How do I go about taking legal action if not?

Thanks in advance.

OHRoadwarrior

It appears you are getting hosed unless your loan was high risk or another exception. It could have been cancelled at about 80%.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/caletters/2004/0405/CA04-5Attach1.pdf

LdiJ

It appears you are getting hosed unless your loan was high risk or another exception. It could have been cancelled at about 80%.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/caletters/2004/0405/CA04-5Attach1.pdf
I agree...If your original loan was 275k and you are now at 120k two years later its absurd for them to still be attempting to collect PMI.

hovit9

Thanks for the responses. I posted this question elsewhere and people seem to think a minimum of two years of payment history on a conventional loan is required in order to have "good payment history" as defined in the Homeowners Protection Act:

"A borrower has a good payment history if the borrower: (1) has not made a payment that was 60 days or more past due within the first 12 months of the last 2 years prior to the later of the cancellation date, or the date that the borrower requests cancellation..."

This seems ambiguous. I haven't had any late payments in the past two years, but the loan hasn't existed for two years.

bdancer

Have you actually READ your mortgage documents to see what it says about PMI. There's usually a clause defining how long .. it's usually a minimum of two years. If you lender is insisting it's 5, maybe your contract does say 5.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">