• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

power of attorney: contracts/ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

July08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I need advice involving real estate and power of attorney.

My mother-in-law, age 96 is in a long term care facility. She has 4 children and a house. Her daughter has “power of attorney”. The house was sold as “lease to own” with a balloon payment after 5 years. Simple contract. The buyer is also responsible for taxes and insurance. Current value of the property around 160-180k.

The buyer is no longer interested in purchasing the house and has not secured financing, but the contract keeps getting renewed with him. We are going into the 2nd extension with him (7 years). The buyer hasn’t lived in the house for the past 3-4 years, it has been occupied by the buyer’s son and his family.

I discovered on the Property tax appraiser’s web site recently that the Buyer is listed as the owner of the house. My mother-in-laws name doesn’t appear anywhere.

I personally want the house sold or put on the market before my mother-in-law passes, while the power of attorney is still valid. I see a train wreck coming and I can’t convince the family to react. My theory is and maybe I’m wrong: We have the benefit of power of attorney, but, upon the death, everything shifts to an estate attorney and a long drawn out fight.

Question:
1) How can the buyer claim ownership to the house on the tax appraisers records?
2) Does my mother-in-law just have a lien on the house? What happens when she passes?
3) Will it take a foreclosure to these people out?
4) Does any active lease contract become invalid at her death (power-of –attorney ends)?
5) Are we setting our selves up for a legal battle with the buyer, giving him future legal leverage against us?

rowz

Get to the Hall of Records [whatever it is in the jurisdiction where the house is located] and check the deed on the property. that will tell you who owns the house.

It is possible that the holder of the POA has sold the house.

Start looking for an attoney who will look over this situation for you and provide advise.

Good luck.....you are going to need it.

anteater

My theory is and maybe I’m wrong: We have the benefit of power of attorney, but, upon the death, everything shifts to an estate attorney and a long drawn out fight.
Why do you think that everything shifts to an estate attorney? The personal representative, presumably one of the kids, administers the estate when MIL passes away. And what kind of fight do you expect?

Since MIL has not resided in the home for quite a few years, selling now could have capital gains tax consequences. When MIL passes away, the property would receive a steup-up in cost basis.

I personally want the house sold or put on the market before my mother-in-law passes..
Since this is your MIL, isn't a bit presumptuous to be getting into the middle of this?

July08

"The long drawn out fight" will be with getting the people out of the house and getting the ownership registered back to my MIL. The terms of the contract have been violated when the buyer moved out, but the estate allowed it to happen.

The (4) kids are in there late 60's and 70's, living in (3) different states. Coordinating the (4) is bad enough, but what happens if its down to (3) kids. Now try to coordinate with (3) elderly adults and the next generation from the 4th. Not a legacy I care to see passed on.
I don't have the legal background to predict the worst case senerio. But, I have concerns.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">