• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

previous landlord and pets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kermeeet

Sacramento, CA,
I posted previously about my garage door opener, now the previous landlord is stating the new tenants are complaining about animal odor. He wants me to provide letters from the people that moved me along with copies of neuter forms and licenses for the 3 cats. While living there the cat box was never on the carpet and I have good cats. The landlord hired the carpet cleaner himself and the bill stated pet odor treatment was included. He is stating that he can go to the Animal Control if I don't give him this information and they will determine if I adequately care for my cats. I specifically agreed to let him hire the carpet cleaner so it would meet his specifications. He seems to be trying to pull me in on a problem with his new tenant.
(I did send him a 30 day notice about the garage door opener very recently, so that is not resolved yet.
What are my responsibilities to this pain.
Thanks a bunch. Your previous advice was very helpful

[This message has been edited by kermeeet (edited July 12, 2000).]

C

cb

I'm not a lawyer, but here is my take on your problem. I assume that you are no longer living in the dwelling with the odors.

Contact the Department of Fair Housing for a tenants rights agreement booklet.

A litter box does not have to come in contact with carpet in order for the carpet to pick up cat odors. HOWEVER.......

To my knowledge, when you vacate a rented space and terminate the renatal agreement, the landlord has 21 days (or it may be 14 now)to return a security deposit. IF there are any conditions that warrant a deduction of the deposit or an additional charge, he/she has to notify you in writing. Also, you have the right to be there when they conduct the walk thru. If no issues are found during this period, the landlord must return the deposit w/in 21 calendar days. If the landlord re-rents the space and allows new tenants to move in prior to notifying you of any damages, whether prior to the 21 day period or not, the landlord is SOL because now he has the burden of proof that the damage was caused by you and not the new tenants.

Also, I am not aware of any laws in CA that an animal must be spayed/neutured. And as far as the licensing goes, it would have nothing to do with any odors that may be there. It sounds like the landlord is trying to intimidate you into covering costs he knows you are not liable for. As far as him calling animal control--if you've got nothing to hide let him. They'll come out, take a look at the environment and if it doesn't pose any hazards they won't do anything. If you had 10 cats in your dwelling, it might be a different story. Any way, his threats are sound retalitory, and that is prohibited in California if it is an attempt to evict without cause or wrongfully retain a security deposit.

T

Tracey

L has no right to the information for which he is asking. Also, animal control is going to ignore the twit unless he's someone important's brother. Tell him your cats didn't cause any odor & you let him hire the carpet cleaners in the interest of friendly relations. However, if he doesn't buzz off & return the rest of your deposit before the CA 30 day deadline, you'll sue him. (And that deadline's already passed hasn't it?)

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">