• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with FL HOA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ericfebs

Florida:

Appreciate thoughts or advice here... I had a boat in my driveway for about 3 weeks while i did some light work on it to get it ready for the fishing season. The HOA sent me a letter telling me I had 10 days to get it out there or face 'legal action.' Whatever. Anyways, I received the letter on the 10th day. Fortunately, I had the boat completed and out of there by that day anyhow. I realize I was violating the by-laws at that time, but I figured I could work on the boat until I was told I no longer could.

Since that time, the boat has only been in my driveway on the evenings before an early morning fishing trips. Just yesterday, I got home from an all day fishing trip with MY NEIGHBOR, took a nap, went outside to hook the boat up to bring back to storage when the assoc president showed up and told me I was still in violation. Apparently, he doesn't think I can ever have it here any longer after my letter. my questions are:

1) What about everyone else that 'violates' the rules? am i different because I had it in my driveway for a longer period some time ago and required a letter? I didn't see anything in the bylaws, but the agent from the HOA said it's ok to keep it there overnight for something like I mentioned--as people do it all the time-campers, rv, etc.

2) If I park the boat at my neighbor's house, which he has vacated due to a foreclosure, can they still fine and penalize me for it--even though it's his property, not mine? essentially, can the board fine me for 'someone else's' violation--even though the boat it mine? We're spliting hairs here, but so isn't the association now. --it seems that the association only can really regulate activities on a piece of property--what if volleyball was prohibited and my neighbor played volleyball with my equipment in his yard? they can't fine me because it's my equipment, can they?

3) Is the solution for me to just park it in the street the night before a fishing trip? my assocation rules say no parking in street, but the street is a COUNTY maintained road. do they have any authority here? This if FL, but I saw that in AZ the state expressly prohibits HOA's from regulating activities on public roads within an HOA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">