• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PROBLEM WITH NEIGHBOR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

METUSALEH

IN MY APARTMENT COMPLEX, A NEIGHBOR STARTED HARRASING MY WIFE. HE WATCHES HER AND ACTUALLY GRABBED HER AND TRIED TO KISS HER. CAN I BREAK MY LEASE WITH THE COMPLEX WITHOUT HAVING TO FINISH PAYING THE MONTHS? ALSO, IF I FILE A RESTRAINING ORDER ON THIS NEIGHBOR DOES THAT MAKE THE COMPLEX FORCE HIM TO MOVE? PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

T

Tracey

First get the restraining order, & file sexual assualt charges too. Ask the judge to require the guy to stay out of the complex. The second the guy violates the order, call the cops & have him arrested. You can't get out of the lease unless you have complained to L & demanded that L deal with this guy who is interfering with your right of quiet enjoyment, & given L 30 days to comply. You can't break your lease unless L has refused to do anything about this guy after a reasonable time. You'll have to check your state landlord tenant act to see what exact procedures you must follow to exercise this right. Fail to cross 1 "T" & you're still on the hook for the rent.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">