• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with Megan's Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommieme3

Hi. I have been researching my topic and have not come across much history on it, so I am hoping someone out there has some suggestions.
My situation is this: I currently have my home for sale. I recently had a potential buyer walk through on two separate occassions. I'm thinking, great, I'll be getting an offer any day. Then I don't hear from them. After contacting their realtor I find out that they loved my home and were going to put in an offer, but had found out that there is a registered sex offender living on my street.
I find it outrageous that this pervert is costing me time and money. He is also indirectly making decisions for my household since where we live will dictate where we can work, where my children can go to school, etc.
Does anyone know if there has ever been a lawsuit brought against either the sex offender or even perhaps the government (I know it's a stretch, but I'm just hoping to bring some light to the problem) in such a situation? I am a law abiding, tax paying citizen and because of this law I am being punished. Didn't anyone consider these ramifications before putting Megan's law into effect?
Understand that I am not suggesting that Megan's law is a bad thing, but it certainly doesn't inform people of every sex offender out there and it is punishing those of us who are not criminals.
Any help or suggestions anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated! You may email me @ [email protected]
Thank you.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

You will get no where attempting to hold the person in the registry at fault for your first buyer rejection. This person is entitled to live where the law allows and if public notice of the person living in your area was required then there is nothing more that can be done. This person must have already served some kind of sentence and now this persons actions are public knowledge for any who look to find it. (that includes you)

HomeGuru

Hi. I have been researching my topic and have not come across much history on it, so I am hoping someone out there has some suggestions.
My situation is this: I currently have my home for sale. I recently had a potential buyer walk through on two separate occassions. I'm thinking, great, I'll be getting an offer any day. Then I don't hear from them. After contacting their realtor I find out that they loved my home and were going to put in an offer, but had found out that there is a registered sex offender living on my street.
I find it outrageous that this pervert is costing me time and money. He is also indirectly making decisions for my household since where we live will dictate where we can work, where my children can go to school, etc.
Does anyone know if there has ever been a lawsuit brought against either the sex offender or even perhaps the government (I know it's a stretch, but I'm just hoping to bring some light to the problem) in such a situation? I am a law abiding, tax paying citizen and because of this law I am being punished. Didn't anyone consider these ramifications before putting Megan's law into effect?
Understand that I am not suggesting that Megan's law is a bad thing, but it certainly doesn't inform people of every sex offender out there and it is punishing those of us who are not criminals.
Any help or suggestions anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated! You may email me @ [email protected]
Thank you.
**A: and what pray tell does your post have to do with real estate?

Just Blue

I am a law abiding, tax paying citizen and because of this law I am being punished. Didn't anyone consider these ramifications before putting Megan's law into effect?
You gotta be kidding......:eek::mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">