• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Procedure/Cost for Adding a Name to Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom003

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

We would like to add our son's name to the deed to our home. He is currently living in that home; we have purchased another home for ourselves in another state.

We recently finished paying off the mortgage. We couldn't find our copy of the deed, but the bank provided us with a 4-page copy of the deed, complete with signatures.

Questions:
1. What is the procedure for adding our son's name to the deed? Is it a simple recording matter, or a complex one?

2. How much should we expect to pay for an attorney to do this for us?

3. Should we hire someone in our current state, or someone in Hawaii? (We're assuming Hawaii, since that's where the property is.) If our current state is fine, would our local bank be able to recommend an attorney in the area? We're new here, and don't know too many people yet.

Thank you!What is the name of your state?

mom003

Hi, Flying Ron! You remembered me from the other forum! Thanks so much for your continued support. This is a great website, and it's helpful and friendly individuals like you who make it great. Thanks to the earlier forum, we decided that adding our son's name to our deed would be okay with us, and now we're just about ready to get things done.

We're hoping that someone can provide us with a general estimate on how much it might cost us (what would be a bargain, reasonable, or on the high end) to add one name to the property's deed. Also, when a price is quoted, is it usually a flat rate, or does the price go up every time we ask a question on the phone?

FlyingRon

They can probably quote you a flat fee as this is not real involve. Fees vary all over the place based on local custom. I've done entire house closings for $500 so I would think that would certainly be an upper limit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">