• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Promissory Note Valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pilotmdy

What is the name of your state? My Current State? CO

My current husband bought a house and his brother loaned him $10,000 for the down payment more than six years ago. His brother signed the loan agreement and it was notarized that this was a gift to his brother. Later, my husband signed his name to a blank, non-notarized promissory note. He sold the house two years after signing the blank promissory note and made no profit. Now his brother wants his money. Question 1: Is the promissory note valid? Question 2: Am I liable for the $10,000 Gift Money now that I am married to him? The original loan was for a house in Oregon. His brother lives in California. There is also evidence of duress on my husbands part as he is terrified of his brother due to a sad family history. I hope someone can help us as soon as possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">