• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proof of tenancy or subtenancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cerebralstu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

What proves tenancy, besides an actual lease agreement?

I have
1. Verbal agreement
2. Reciept of at least one check in payment for rent
3. Am in possession of an official WaMu check or money stub (no name just receipt I could prove it being cashed or deposited into owners account)
4. Utilities in my name as of said verbal agreement.

Is this enough to prove tenancy?

HuAi

Depends where you are trying to prove it. The standards for getting a parking tag from your city for example are lower than proving your case in court! If small claims court, verbal contract with both sides willing to testify to it would be best, otherwise multiple monthly checks in the same amount over several months as well as utilities in your name should do it.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

What proves tenancy, besides an actual lease agreement?

I have
1. Verbal agreement
2. Reciept of at least one check in payment for rent
3. Am in possession of an official WaMu check or money stub (no name just receipt I could prove it being cashed or deposited into owners account)
4. Utilities in my name as of said verbal agreement.

Is this enough to prove tenancy?
**A: no, how would you prove you actually lived at the property? There are 2 types of tenacy, being on the lease and being an actual occupant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">