• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property confiscated by city

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

daniac148

California-
In a dispute over adding an 8 x 15 fiberglass roof to a pre-existing trellis in my backyard, the city, pushed by a vexatious neighbor, has hassled me for months. After modifying it according to the building inspector's suggestions, and proving a whole host of allegations to be false, they have pulled their final rabbit out of the hat... the trellis is illegal because it violates the lot coverage percentage of 40%. When I pointed out that according to my deed, the size of my property means that the coverage is 34%, they now say that there is an invisible right of way that, in effect, confiscates my garden and driveway and I cannot use the actual size of the property to calculate the lot coverage %. This property has been bounded by a retaining wall for many years, probably since the 1930's. Now they want me to tear down the trellis based on what I see as bogus and unjust grounds.
Any advice appreciated.

HomeGuru

daniac148 said:
California-
In a dispute over adding an 8 x 15 fiberglass roof to a pre-existing trellis in my backyard, the city, pushed by a vexatious neighbor, has hassled me for months. After modifying it according to the building inspector's suggestions, and proving a whole host of allegations to be false, they have pulled their final rabbit out of the hat... the trellis is illegal because it violates the lot coverage percentage of 40%. When I pointed out that according to my deed, the size of my property means that the coverage is 34%, they now say that there is an invisible right of way that, in effect, confiscates my garden and driveway and I cannot use the actual size of the property to calculate the lot coverage %. This property has been bounded by a retaining wall for many years, probably since the 1930's. Now they want me to tear down the trellis based on what I see as bogus and unjust grounds.
Any advice appreciated.

**A: thank you for your post but I cannot respond to a situation involving invisible property lines or a right of way. I can only provide advice based on facts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">