• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ELAINA

I live in Mass could you please tell me how a property deed works if there are two names on a deed to a house do both parties own it, or the person who pays the mortgage?

E

ELAINA

Property deed

I ask because my ex husband and I owned a house together,but at the time we were not married, have since split and sold the house and now he is saying that I am not entitled to any of the profits. Is this true or not. The deed is in both names. I live in the state of Mass.

HomeGuru

That is the very reason why I asked, why do you ask.
You as co-owner are entitled to half of the profits or whatever the percentage of ownership is stated on the deed. Normally in such cases, owners are not so lucky and they pay the mortgage but may not be on title. Ex: boyfriend bought a house, then you moved in and paid for half of the mortgage, taxes, insurance etc. each month yet your name is not on title. It is possible for you to claim and equitable interest in the property based on your payment history.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">