• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property easement fight

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mpita

My husband's family has owned vacation property up in the U.P. of Michigan for over 30 years. This land is locked by water on 1 side, State forest on the back, and other owned property to the right and left. There is an electric company easement that travels from a State campground and across neighboring properties to ours(and, of course, continues). My husband's father, back 30+ years ago(now deceased) gained verbal permission to travel the power line road. It is the only way to the property other than by water. As stated above, the family has been traveling this power line for over 30 years now. 2 years ago, a new neighbor bought the property between the state campground and our property. They will not allow us access to our property. They recently put in a paved road along the power line, with the power line's permission. Nothing can be found in writing at the power company regarding my family's use of the power line. Do we still have a right based on 'implication' or years of use?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mpita:
My husband's family has owned vacation property up in the U.P. of Michigan for over 30 years. This land is locked by water on 1 side, State forest on the back, and other owned property to the right and left. There is an electric company easement that travels from a State campground and across neighboring properties to ours(and, of course, continues). My husband's father, back 30+ years ago(now deceased) gained verbal permission to travel the power line road. It is the only way to the property other than by water. As stated above, the family has been traveling this power line for over 30 years now. 2 years ago, a new neighbor bought the property between the state campground and our property. They will not allow us access to our property. They recently put in a paved road along the power line, with the power line's permission. Nothing can be found in writing at the power company regarding my family's use of the power line. Do we still have a right based on 'implication' or years of use? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would appear that you do based on 30 years of useage of the road. You need to hire an attorney to review the situation and the applicable State laws with respect to creation of easements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">