• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AntMeme

We have owned our property since 1979 in the state of Indiana. When we bought the property the elderly lady next door told us the property line was the chain link fence between our two properties. The elderly lady is now in a nursing home and her son owns the property. He is in the process of selling the property and had a survey of the property but it does no correspond with what the elderly lady told my husband. What recourse do we have. We have a propane gas tank that has been on our property before we purchased the property that is supposely now on the other property (the chain link fence has been removed on the back side of our property). And our parking area that my husband has built is also on the otherside of the property line. The survey stake is about 4feet from the rear of our property and about 1 foot from the chain link fence on the side of our property. Since our tank and parking area has been across the so called property line since 1979 do we have any rights to keep it there or will be have to move it? What are our options.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntMeme:
We have owned our property since 1979 in the state of Indiana. When we bought the property the elderly lady next door told us the property line was the chain link fence between our two properties. The elderly lady is now in a nursing home and her son owns the property. He is in the process of selling the property and had a survey of the property but it does no correspond with what the elderly lady told my husband. What recourse do we have. We have a propane gas tank that has been on our property before we purchased the property that is supposely now on the other property (the chain link fence has been removed on the back side of our property). And our parking area that my husband has built is also on the otherside of the property line. The survey stake is about 4feet from the rear of our property and about 1 foot from the chain link fence on the side of our property. Since our tank and parking area has been across the so called property line since 1979 do we have any rights to keep it there or will be have to move it? What are our options.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is why you should have gotten a survey before buying the property. Option 1 is to use the neighbors survey as a guide. Option 2 is to get your own survey done and abide by the results.

A

AntMeme

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
That is why you should have gotten a survey before buying the property. Option 1 is to use the neighbors survey as a guide. Option 2 is to get your own survey done and abide by the results. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your answer wasn't very helpful. Since the LP gas tank and the parking area have been across the supposed property line for over 20 years will we have to move them?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntMeme:

Your answer wasn't very helpful. Since the LP gas tank and the parking area have been across the supposed property line for over 20 years will we have to move them?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, this is the free advice forum with absolutely no promise that the advice provided would be helpful. Sometimes you get lucky.
I promise to work a little harder to be more helpful on the next post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">