• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property lines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smays

We purchased a house last April in Pennsylvania in a private sale from the homeowner. Orginally the homeowner purchased it from a women who owned our house and a small house beside it and it was considered 1 property, with a lot size o 53 x 160. The property was split and she retained the smaller house, which is on a 22 x 160 lot and our home sits on a 31 x 160 lot. The problem is when we originally purchase our house, the person we bought it from said that we owned 4 ft of ground that the smaller house's fence sat on. We have been in the process of trying to have our property lines defined and will soon have it surveyed but can the original homeowner and their realtor sell the home without defined property lines and not disclose this to the prospective buyer? The other issue may be that the "missing" 4 ft of our property is being used by the neighbor on the other side of our house and has for about 10 years, and they have a 6 ft fence that may be on our property depending on where the lines fall. With them using property for so long, does this forfeit the land to them? Thanks in advance for any advice.

HomeGuru

You should have gotten a survey done before you bought the property. Without the survey, you did not know what you were buying.
When you get the survey, post again to this thread so we can help you.

N

NoJustice

Property line

Home Guru... We are involved in a similar situation and have had a checked and rechecked survey completed in the last year. The neighbor's well and leach field are on our property most likely because of a survey error over 20 years ago.

I'll be most interested to hear the outcome of this since we've just gone through considerable litigation attempting to quiet title.

HomeGuru

Re: Property line

Nomads4fun said:
Home Guru... We are involved in a similar situation and have had a checked and rechecked survey completed in the last year. The neighbor's well and leach field are on our property most likely because of a survey error over 20 years ago.

I'll be most interested to hear the outcome of this since we've just gone through considerable litigation attempting to quiet title.
My response: I remember your situation. Let's see if this thread goes further.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">