• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property for sale with easements Utah

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

notalotofinfo

Utah. 20 plus acres for sale with 7 easements. One easement has a pipeline spill that is still not cleaned up been there for 20 years. at this point i don't expect the spill to threaten anyone down the road.

My question is do we need a Realtor or a Real Estate Attorney to help with the sale.

Stephen1

Utah. 20 plus acres for sale with 7 easements. One easement has a pipeline spill that is still not cleaned up been there for 20 years. at this point i don't expect the spill to threaten anyone down the road.

My question is do we need a Realtor or a Real Estate Attorney to help with the sale.
Are you the seller or the buyer?

I have worked in the environmental field for years. The rules do change from time to time so even if you could get some government agency to say that the spill doesn't need to be cleaned up that doesn't preclude a change some years (even next year) down the road to say it needs to be cleaned up.

Who is responsible for the cleanup? Usually the current owner of the property, even if they weren't the owner when the spill occurred. The owner of the pipeline could have some liability too. The current owner of the pipeline will point to the owner at the time of the spill (I'm assuming ownership has changed over time). Then there is the owner of the oil that was passing through the pipeline at the time of the spill (who will probably contend that even though it was their material that spilled they were not responsible for the operation or maintenance of the pipeline). Notice that there is a lot of finger pointing and little action.

If I were the buyer I would either not buy or require that everything get cleaned up with approval by the state environmental agency.
If I were the seller I would disclose the spill and see whether I could palm it off on some buyer willing to take the risk. Because cleanup and lawyers are expensive.

OHRoadwarrior

As such cleanups are very expensive due to the removal of contaminated soil, I suggest the current owner to obtain a cleanup agreement from the pipeline company that goes with the sale or contact the Gov't to see if a Superfund grant can be obtained and set into stone before purchase. The last option is to call The state and seek a cost on cleanup.

http://www.hazardouswaste.utah.gov/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">