• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gratefulhoo

Virginia - My husband and his ex-wife divorced 9 years ago and he remained in the home with their daughter. At the time of divorce, the ex-wife stated verbally that she wanted nothing to do with the house then or in the future. There was no specific arrangement in the divorce settlement as it was verbally agreed that my husband would continue to maintain the house, pay the mortgage, and receive the income if and when sold. He has rented the home out for 7 years and we have lost a LOT of money on repairs and a poor property management company. We want to sell it now, and were advised to get her to sign a quick claim deed. However, she has refused and says she wants half the money when it is sold. Do we have any recourse at all? Help! We really need the money!

C

cclovins

The only thing to do is sue her first for the monies spent on payments+taxes+upkeep- rent collected. The bottom dollar amount will be the amount to ask for in a law suit + court cost and legal expense. Also in Georgia the time was only four years back to claim on as I had to do. So the sooner you start your law suit the better. After you get the judgement then you can sell and only give her the part above the lawsuit. If you claim every penny plus if you have friends that do services rendered..etc..Add everything you can to the lawsuit you should find see owes you. Make sure she understands your position before you sue. she may sign the QuitClaim. If not take her to the cleaners.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">