• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amwes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
My wife and I have been divorced for 20 years. We never had a property settlement. She left and I kept the house. I now want her to sign her share of the property over to me so that my name is the only name on the house. She has not contributed to any payments on the property since 20 years maybe more. She has also been remarried. I'm trying to find out if she is entitled to anything at all.

FlyingRon

The fact that she has remarried is immaterial.
If the house was marital property, then she is most likely entitled to a share. This should have been resolved in the divorce. What that share is going to be determined by litigation. At this point she is legally 50% owner of the place I suspect.

If her name is not on any debt related to the property, you can try asking her to deed her interest to you. If she refuses, you will need to get a lawyer involved.

amwes

Property settlement

Thanks for your response,

I have a few more questions for you. Will she be able to take a loan out on the house without my signature? And if she does take out a loan without my signature what can i do about it? Also, will it be in my favor since i raised the kids without getting child support or any other type of support from her? She is now divorced from her second husband, what can I do about her using my last name? I do not know why she is using my last name instead of his.

HomeGuru

Thanks for your response,

I have a few more questions for you. Will she be able to take a loan out on the house without my signature?

**A: no

########
And if she does take out a loan without my signature what can i do about it? Also, will it be in my favor since i raised the kids without getting child support or any other type of support from her?

**A: not a real estate law issue.

########
She is now divorced from her second husband, what can I do about her using my last name? I do not know why she is using my last name instead of his.

**A: you can do nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">