• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property tax exemption disclosure?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boxxed

I recently purchased a house in Colorado. Among other things my payment was based on the property taxes. I was unaware that there was a senior property tax exemption from the seller. There was no disclosure made to me that the current taxes being paid by the seller were based on the Senior Property Tax Exemption.
The question is: Was it on me to due my due diligence to find that out or should the lender, title company, or listing agent have disclosed that. If that is the case and it should have been disclosed what if any would my recourse be?

Dave

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I recently purchased a house in Colorado. Among other things my payment was based on the property taxes. I was unaware that there was a senior property tax exemption from the seller. There was no disclosure made to me that the current taxes being paid by the seller were based on the Senior Property Tax Exemption.
The question is: Was it on me to due my due diligence to find that out or should the lender, title company, or listing agent have disclosed that. If that is the case and it should have been disclosed what if any would my recourse be?

Dave
It's on you. You were told what was being paid, it's up to YOU to figure out what you will be paying.

boxxed

It's on you. You were told what was being paid, it's up to YOU to figure out what you will be paying.

Thats fine.. I am good with. I just wanted to make sure. My only thought was that the tax rate was based on something I was totally unaware of. How would one have found out the tax rate was being based on an exemption. Had it been disclosed and explained that my taxes will be going up about 2.5 times I would done somethings different.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

LdiJ

Dave
Its common knowledge that property taxes vary according to various exemptions that some homeowners are eligible for, and some are not. Therefore you should have expected that yours would not be the same as the previous owner.

boxxed

Its common knowledge that property taxes vary according to various exemptions that some homeowners are eligible for, and some are not. Therefore you should have expected that yours would not be the same as the previous owner.
Yes, you are correct. I knew that the would adjust. It was just kind of a surprise.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">