• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Tax Situation - McLennan County, Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dk29248

I failed to receive a tax appraisal on my home earlier this year. When I received the bill in October, I realized that the appraisal value increased by $72,000, increasing my taxes by over $1,000. My research has revealed that they have just now added /appraised structures that have been there since the 1990's. To make matters worse, I was told when my husband died in 2009, that my taxes were frozen to the amount paid in 2005 when my husband turned 65, but they have been fluctuating up and down by $20 every year since 2005. All this to ask: Can I fight the appraisal district to get my taxes reverted to the 2005 amount (based on data that was missing for over 25 years)?

justalayman

Generally their failure to assess the property correctly due to not including improvements does not allow an argument the property should not be assessed properly now.

I suspect you won't be successful in holding the assessment at the 2005 level because it was improperly assessed at that time. What they are doing is correcting an error.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">