• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property taxes raised 10 fold!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hsboz

What is the name of your state? I live in Illinois. We bought 3 vacant lots that total 12 acres in January 1999. Up until this year the taxes totaled about $150 . We just got a bill and they have been raised to $1500.00. We have not done any improvements. Can we do anything about this and what are our chances of winning?

JETX

Q1) "Can we do anything about this"
A1) Most taxing authorities have an appeal process that would allow the property owner to challenge the appraisal value. I suggest you contact the taxing agency and ask what their process might be.

Q2) "and what are our chances of winning?"
A2) I can't imagine anyone being able to answer this one for you... especially with the lack of specific information in your post. The 'chances' depend entirely on the specifics and your ability to challenge the valuation.

FarmerJ

Those property taxes also are based on what you paid for the property , If they had not been reviewed by the county /city for many years and stayed low because the previous owner paid very little for the land. Of course when some one else comes in and is the new owner in many places that is one of the times they review the taxes and see if they need to be changed . So if property sales values went way up in that area so too would the taxes . Have you looked at comparable property in that area/county to see what it is selling for and looked at what the public records show the taxes are on those properties ? that kind of information might help you alot in any attempt to get those taxes reduced . So do some digging and see what you learn . (also if you were planning just by chance on building a home for your self using all 3 to be your lot see if the taxes will drop by having the parcels combined into one parcel .)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">