• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property taxes ,are they more if house is a rental?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BFG

I was doing a title search at the county recorders office on a house that I rent in San Diego ,Ca. The property tax was based on the house having a two car garage versus one and also being air conditioned which in fact neither is true. I then noticed that the owner claimed to live in the house which is definately not true as I have rented it for almost 12 years. What's up with that??

D

David J. Miller

OOOh. So your initial question was from the tenant perspective so my response was completely useless to you.

This response will be equally as useless. Whether CA offers homestead exemptions for owner occupants or not, is none of your business unless the amount of tax being paid in some way impacts you.

You can be assured of one thing; if your landlord IS paying homestead tax and suddenly gets caught and the taxes go up, so shall your rent.

[This message has been edited by David J. Miller (edited October 11, 2000).]

BFG

D. Miller Hey i appreciate your input know matter what side it is coming from , the reality is this . I have lived in this house for almost twelve years and have done all upkeep and maintenance( the owner lives in Washington) the house is in San Diego. I have asked her since the time I moved in that if she ever decided to sell I was definately interested. The owner said that it was going to be a retirement home and did not want to sell, but noless I've randomly asked about it. Then one day the owner call talks to my wife and says that someone is coming by to look at the house as a property manager. When I met the Property Manager I also stated that if she was going to sell I was interested in buying. He said he did not know her intentions at that time. Then the P.M. calls and asks if I would call a certain pest control for a routine inspection. I have been a contractor for over 10 years and since the owner never spent a dime on the place I knew there was a something fishy!! I called both the owner and the P.M. and got the silent treatment by each.Then I recieved a call from the P.M.. saying he now owns the house and he wants me to sign a new rental agreement. If the house is sold then there is nothing I can do about that, But the owner has never told me anything still. I just don't want to send this guy the rent until I know that he owns it. Up until now the owner has still been recieving the rent and although I have my doubts this could be some kind of scam. However I do want to C.M.A. in either event Thanks

D

David J. Miller

Well, I guess I would be a little hesitant in paying someone the rent without first verifying he's entitled to it. I would at minimum keep the rent in a separate savings account so it's available once proof is received. I would ask the PM for proof of ownership, i.e. warranty deed or whatever deed is applicable for CA and send a certified letter to the previous owner requesting written confirmation of who the rent should be sent to. Certainly sounds fishy.

BFG

thanks for all your help D. It's not like I don't want to pay the rent, I called the supposed new owner and he would like to go on and have me sign a new rental agreement with no hard feelings. I asked if he was interested in selling the place and he said sure he would have it appraised and cut me a couple thou of that, he says that he believes the property will appraise at $220,00, he paid $176,000 for it. I would mind him making a few bucks of this but that's crazy, he hasn't done a thing other than push a pencil. If I wasn't lied to I would feel better about this in whole. I plan on offering him around $194,000 for the property thru a buyers agent and as I understand he would have to reply with in 3 days ( he is a broker) HHHHHeelp!!!!

D

David J. Miller

Good luck. (I didn't think you were trying to get out of paying rent.)

BFG

Thanks, I"m gonna roll the dice and give the old owner a call to see what's up even against my own judgement. I have looked up the state laws and it says the owner must notify me of new owner and either refund my security money or give it to the new owner who must disclose where the money is being kept and his address. Thanks again D. hey are you the only one who answers these posts or what?? I just found this sight yesterday, just curious!!

D

David J. Miller

No not usually. In fact, I've only been answering posts for about a week. There are lot's of attorney's who answer these posts but they are either very busy at the moment or I think some of them are a little upset with some things that went on at one of the other sights. (I'm not real clear on the details) I'm on sort of a vacation this week and have little else to do.

BFG

D. YOU THE MAN!!! I know what ya mean about the others I am involved with another site very similar to this and it can be Drama Trauma

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">