• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property transfer using quit claim deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rsemak

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I want to transfer a property from a friend of the family into my name. There is no lien on the property and my friend's name is on the deed. I want to transfer the property into my name and not pay any money. Is a quit claim deed the best way to go? I'm worried about paying capital gains when I go to sell the house. But I heard if I live there for 2 years and then sell I no longer pay any capital gains. Basically, I want to put the property in my name, not pay any money, and be able to sell it, and not pay any taxes or capital gains. What's the best way to do that?

S

seniorjudge

rsemak said:

I want to transfer a property from a friend of the family into my name. There is no lien on the property and my friend's name is on the deed. I want to transfer the property into my name and not pay any money. Is a quit claim deed the best way to go? I'm worried about paying capital gains when I go to sell the house. But I heard if I live there for 2 years and then sell I no longer pay any capital gains. Basically, I want to put the property in my name, not pay any money, and be able to sell it, and not pay any taxes or capital gains. What's the best way to do that?
Go to a good real estate attorney who also practices tax law; this is not a DIY....

HomeGuru

rsemak said:

**A: Geez, that's interesting. I wanted to do the same thing too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">