• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prorated Rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

murray18

I am moving out of a rental unit on 27 Aug-required notice was given and I'm forfeiting my deposit for leaving before my lease is up. I have paid my rent for 1-27 Aug. I am now being told that I owe rent for 28-31 Aug. My landlord says "We don't prorate after the 5th". No where in my lease does it say this. My continued questions are met with the same response "We don't prorate after the 5th". I am worried about what they can do if I just don't pay the remainaing money (just over $100). Can they lock me out?

P

peter

get this once and for all people, when YOU pay rent it is for THE FULL MONTH wether you live there or not!

If the landlord agrees to pro rate the rent well its his choice NOT YOURS...

And you are really being very very greedy...the landlord has your security deposit that you lost, unless the landlord rents the apartment in 3 days, then you can have a claim on him for return of your security deposit which is being used for sept. rent.

He cannot lock you out thats Illegal..call the police on him.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by murray18:
I am moving out of a rental unit on 27 Aug-required notice was given and I'm forfeiting my deposit for leaving before my lease is up. I have paid my rent for 1-27 Aug. I am now being told that I owe rent for 28-31 Aug. My landlord says "We don't prorate after the 5th". No where in my lease does it say this. My continued questions are met with the same response "We don't prorate after the 5th". I am worried about what they can do if I just don't pay the remainaing money (just over $100). Can they lock me out?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

M

murray18

Peter-I have no claim to my deposit-I am vacating early due to a move with my employer. I am forfeiting my deposit with no recourse. I don't feel I'm being greedy at all, but thanks for the information.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by peter:
get this once and for all people, when YOU pay rent it is for THE FULL MONTH wether you live there or not!

If the landlord agrees to pro rate the rent well its his choice NOT YOURS...

And you are really being very very greedy...the landlord has your security deposit that you lost, unless the landlord rents the apartment in 3 days, then you can have a claim on him for return of your security deposit which is being used for sept. rent.

He cannot lock you out thats Illegal..call the police on him.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by murray18:
I am moving out of a rental unit on 27 Aug-required notice was given and I'm forfeiting my deposit for leaving before my lease is up. I have paid my rent for 1-27 Aug. I am now being told that I owe rent for 28-31 Aug. My landlord says "We don't prorate after the 5th". No where in my lease does it say this. My continued questions are met with the same response "We don't prorate after the 5th". I am worried about what they can do if I just don't pay the remainaing money (just over $100). Can they lock me out?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may be responsible for the Sept rent plus, depending upon the expiration of your fixed lease and when the property is re-rented.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">