• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prorated rent increase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nancy Griffin

On June 1st I mailed a notice to my tenants of a rent increase to begin July 1st . I understand that I must give them a 30 day notice. They claim to have received the notice on June 6th, which I accepted. I prorated the rent increase from July 7th (30 days from the day they received my notice) to July 31st. They are claiming that they are not legally obligated to pay the prorated amount for 25 days in July, that legally they do not have to pay the increase until Aug. 1. Which of us is legally correct? Sincerely, Nancy Griffin

P

PETER

The tenants are correct you have to notify them 30 days before they normally pay rent, they had to recieve the notice before June 1st...

If you had personally collected the rent on the 1st and handed that notice to them, you would have been able to collect the increase on July 1st.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nancy Griffin:
On June 1st I mailed a notice to my tenants of a rent increase to begin July 1st . I understand that I must give them a 30 day notice. They claim to have received the notice on June 6th, which I accepted. I prorated the rent increase from July 7th (30 days from the day they received my notice) to July 31st. They are claiming that they are not legally obligated to pay the prorated amount for 25 days in July, that legally they do not have to pay the increase until Aug. 1. Which of us is legally correct? Sincerely, Nancy Griffin <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nancy Griffin:
On June 1st I mailed a notice to my tenants of a rent increase to begin July 1st . I understand that I must give them a 30 day notice. They claim to have received the notice on June 6th, which I accepted. I prorated the rent increase from July 7th (30 days from the day they received my notice) to July 31st. They are claiming that they are not legally obligated to pay the prorated amount for 25 days in July, that legally they do not have to pay the increase until Aug. 1. Which of us is legally correct? Sincerely, Nancy Griffin <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stop acting and playing the nickel and dime game with your tenants. Start the increase this month. Prorations of rent can be charged to tenants moving in or out sometime in between the first and the end of the month.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">