• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protection Fence Ramifications

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pichy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I own a house on a fairly busy road on a hill with a very sharp bend in the road. Over the 14 years that I've lived there with my family, we have seen at least one accident per year where cars either skid, slide, or flip while trying to navigate this turn. They frequently end up hitting the guard rail across the lane, which borders my property. A few years before I moved in, a truck ended up in the living room, prompting the county to erect a more substantial guard rail. That guard rail has been tested and performed well ever since. However, yesterday, a pickup truck lost control, and rolled sideways up and over the rail, and caused significant damage to my property. I am not concerned about the property damage, as the driver is in critical condition. I am concerned, however, about the safety of my four children and wife. I want to erect a more substantial barrier on my property, as a second line of defense. Am I making myself liable, if the next accident comes with injuries that could somehow be attributable to my barrier? What are my rights as far as protecting my family and property, as this WILL happen again?

ps we plan to move, but cannot just yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">