• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Utility Easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stlcubsfan

Hello from Illinois,

My home was built on a corner lot about year ago. The easement on the side of my house is 15 feet from the street. It was my understanding that public utilites were to be located within this easement;but, two utility companies are 12ft out of the easement. Their lines run parallel to my house ( 10 Ft from my house), preventing me from building a deck. There is a sliding patio door on that side of the house, and a deck is necessary for a egress. Can I build my deck over this lines, or do I sue the utility companies to move their lines within the 15 ft. easement?

Thank you

HomeGuru

If you are positive via current survey and review of the easement docs and as-builts that the utlity company is wrong, demand that they move the lines to within the easement area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">